Cosmetic services restore and rejuvenate the mind, body and skin.
Cosmetic procedures are not only for the rich and famous. Several options are less invasive—and less costly—than the “nip and tuck” procedures of the past. According to 2016 statistics from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, specialists around the country perform an astonishing 17.1 million surgical and minimally invasive cosmetic procedures each year. At Mayo Clinic in Rochester, patients receive the same high quality of care for cosmetic procedures as is the standard for all care provided by the clinic.
Caring Environment and Services
“I begin with a comprehensive consultation with my patients to discuss their cosmetic goals and how best to achieve them—everything from skincare to surgery,” says Rachel Miest, M.D., assistant professor of dermatology and medical director of aesthetic dermatology at Mayo Clinic. Dr. Miest’s practice includes providing personalized services at Rejuvenate Spa. Located within the Mayo Clinic Healthy Living Program, the spa’s tranquil environment is the perfect venue for therapies and treatments that improve wrinkles, scars, brown spots and more. For example:
- Botox improves the look of forehead wrinkles, frown lines between eyebrows and crow’s feet.
- Chemical peels improve fine lines, wrinkles, skin discoloration and mild acne.
- Soft tissue fillers add volume to facial tissues and smooth wrinkles and folds.
- Laser therapy improves the appearance of skin or minor facial flaws.
“We accommodate same-day services whenever possible,” says Dr. Miest, who works closely with an esthetician to provide recommendations for skin care products and spa services. “If a surgical approach is most appropriate, I refer patients to one of my surgical colleagues.”
Healing with Passion and Inspiration
Dr. Miest is trained to diagnose and treat diseases of the skin, hair and nails. With a special interest in women’s health, her passion for aesthetic dermatology grew naturally in response to the different needs of patients. She has trained with aesthetic physicians nationally and internationally. In a field where there is a significant art to approaching aesthetic patients and performing these procedures, this invaluable experience allows her to incorporate the techniques of leaders in the field into what she does for patients at Mayo Clinic each and every day.
Her inspiration is her patients. “Something that attracted me to dermatology was the ability to heal all parts of a person—body and mind,” she says. “I understand the emotional impact our outward appearance can have, and the opportunity to help patients feel better about themselves is incredible.”
Real Patients, Real Experiences
From prevention to correction, Dr. Miest enjoys every aspect of what she does. She aims for natural-looking results and sees firsthand the significant benefit to patients of all backgrounds and ages. There’s no question, her patients are her best advocates:
- An 80-year-old woman wanted to reduce wrinkles around her mouth so her treatment plan included Botox to the upper face and soft tissue fillers to the mid and lower face. She returned three weeks after her treatment and said her close friends noticed her improved appearance but couldn’t tell what she had done.
- A 39-year-old woman sought consultation after the stress of caring for an ill child had aged her significantly in a short period of time. With an improved skin care regimen and regular Botox treatments, Dr. Miest restored a more youthful appearance.
- A 37-year-old breast cancer survivor wanted to decrease wrinkles and improve skin texture after chemotherapy. With beautiful results, an improved skin care regimen was initiated, along with regular Botox treatments.
Now is the time to consider cosmetic services to restore and rejuvenate your mind, body and skin, and revitalize your soul.
Patients may call the Dermatology appointment office (507-284-2536) or Rejuvenate Spa (507-293-2966) to schedule a consultation.
Trish Amundson is a Rochester-area freelance writer.