1. Spinach was purchased from Thorson Farms; whole wheat flour and cheese from Prairie Hollow Farm; sugar, salt and white flour from the Good Food Store; eggs from Dawn’s own lovely chickens.
2. Bunch fresh spinach leaves together press on cutting board and chop through with a sharp knife.
3. Mix ingredients well in a bowl until thoroughly blended and dough appears to hold together.
4. Work the dough on a floured surface until smooth and pliable.
5. Allow dough to rise until doubled in size. Then cut into equal portions.
6. Shape dough into desired form and brush with egg wash.
7. Make slashes in top of loaves with a pointed sharp knife.
8. Loaves are done when crust golden brown; surface chunks of cheese will have oozed during baking with a darker golden finish. Aromas will tantalize your senses; your palate will delight in warm bread dipped in any of a number of specialty olive oils.
1 3/4 cup water
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups white flour
1/2 cup chunked cheddar cheese (any type of cheese will work)
4 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. sea salt
1 3/4 tsp. instant yeast
1 cup chopped fresh spinach leaves
1 egg yolk
Chop spinach leaves. Pour all ingredients into large bowl except egg. Mix until dough comes together, about 4 minutes. Pour onto counter sprinkled with flour, then knead dough until smooth and pliable, about 10 minutes. Spray a large bowl with oil. Place dough in bowl and cover with a clean cloth. Allow to rise for about 1 hour or until double in size.
Punch down dough and remove from bowl. Cut dough in half to make 2 equal portions. Shape each into a loaf, circles or any desired shape. Brush the top of the dough with an egg wash (1 egg yolk whisked with 1 Tbsp. water). Make several slashes along the top of the loaves with a knife.
Let rise for about 1/2 hour. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for at least 15 minutes before slicing. Enjoy!