Our staff’s picks for gifts made and sold locally.
1. Hand-carved child’s spinning top by Rochester artist David Dunn, SEMVA Art Gallery, www.SEMVA.com, 281-4920.
2. Organic, gourmet cupcakes homemade in Winona by Mon Petit Cupcake, www.monpetitcupcake.com, 358-8504; also sold in Rochester at Chocolaterie Stam, Shops at University Square.
3. Handcrafted goat milk soaps by Simple Soaps for Simple Folks made in Dover, www.simplegoatsoaps.com, 923-8843.
4. Scrumptious pumpkin cheesecake handmade by Heather Fulton, bakery and patisserie chef at Mr. Pizza North (other flavors available), www.northmrpizza.com, 252-9400.
5. Artisan-crafted mortar and pestle by Rochester artist David Munz, SEMVA Art Gallery, www.semva.com, 281-4920.
6. Crinkled purple and hot pink silk scarf, matching men’s ties also available, Peacock Tale, LLC, www.peacocktale.com, 202-0095.
7. Delicious dog treats made by Michele Wenci at Beggar’s Bakery inside Leashes and Leads in Byron, www.leashesandleads.com, 282-2710.
8. Bloody Mary gift basket made complete with Rochester’s own gourmet Uncle John’s Bold or Spicy Bloody Mary Mix, Uncle John’s Specialty Foods, LLC, www.unclejohnssf.com, 226-7828. Also available at Uncle John’s Bar & Grill on Lake Zumbro.
9. Assorted lip balms and skin creams from Honeymoon Honey, honeymoonhoneybees.com, 993-8069. Products available at HyVee, People’s Food Co-op, A Shared Smile, Rochester Produce, The Yippee Hippee, Scrub your Butt, Passionate Nails, St. Marys Hospital Gift Shop and Beelighted in Zumbrota.
10. Hand-blown glass ornament, LeRoy Center for the Creative Arts, www.leroycca.com, 324-3777.
11. Gift card to Flapdoodles Homemade Ice Cream shop where their huge flavor assortment of ice cream is crafted right in Rochester, flapdoodlesicecream.com, 288-3527.
12. Craft fairs and events are a great place to find locally handmade gifts, like this crocheted necklace (see article), J & J Crafts, 259-5556.